Maybe it’s because it’s across McIntire Road, so not technically on the DTM, or because they haven’t been doing enough marketing, but it’s hard to believe there aren’t more people checking out the Jefferson School City Center. This is a real cool downtown asset!
1) Free, easy access parking in its own two-level parking garage
2) An African-American Heritage Center with exhibits in what used to be an African-American School located in an African-American neighborhood that was razed by urban renewal in the 1960s.
3) A full-service recreation center with a gym, state-of-the-art fitness center, teen center, all kinds of classes, pick-up basketball games, which is priced reasonably.
4) A healing arts center with yoga, meditation, acupuncture, and massage.
5) A community center for seniors and children
6) A woman’s support group offering counseling, social support, and education
7) A full-service café/restaurant whose profits go to a meals program for seniors. Also hosts art exhibits and free live music.
DTM is maintained by Charlottesville journalist David McNair. Got a news item or new listing? Contact me at email@example.com.